Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 2004 20:26:07 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        miha@ghuug.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA

Mikhail P. wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> This question probably has been discussed numerous times, but I'm somew=
hat=20
> unsure what really causes ATA failures..
>=20
> I have pretty basic server here which has two IDE drives - each is 200G=
B.=20
> System is FreeBSD-5.2.1-p9
> That server has been setup about 9 months ago, and just about 3 months =
ago my=20
> logs quickly filled up with:
> ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=3D51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=3D10<NID_NO=
T_FOUND>=20
> LBA=3D268435455

Hmm, that means that the drive couldn't find the sector you asked for.
Now, what has me wondering is that it is the exact sector where we=20
switch to 48bit adressing mode. Anyhow, I've just checked on the old=20
Maxtor preproduktion 48bit reference drive I have here and it crosses=20
the limit with no problems.
What controller are you using ? not all supports 48bit mode correctly..

--=20

-S=F8ren