Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 96 9:07:40 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Can't read this stupid DAT tape - ARGH!

>> Might this be a DDS-2 tape (high density recording) trying to be read by
>> a DDS-1 tape drive?
>
> That's a good point - I had forgotten that there were two varieties.
>
> My drive probes as:
>
> (ahc0:3:0): "ARCHIVE Python 28388-XXX 4.98" type 1 removable SCSI 2
> st0(ahc0:3:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x13,  drive empty
>
> And the tape was written on an SGI Indigo 2, not that I have any idea
> what kind of tapes those use.

I'm pretty sure that this is a DDS-1 drive without compression.  I've
always had problems with SGI boxes because they didn't understand my
compressed DDS-1 tapes.  The machines I used were also Archive
Pythons, but I can't remember the model number.

> Any clues as to how to find this kind of information out?

At a guess, if the tape driver complains about overlength errors, it
can read the tape.  The obvious way to find out, though, is to look at
the cartridge: usually in the top right hand corner, there is a
sequence of three or four symbols that after some examination can be
considered to represent the letters "DDS", possibly followed by a
"2".  The other way is the length of the tape: 60 and 90 m are DDS,
120 m is DDS-2.

Greg