Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:40:21 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>, FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC 1323 default settings (was Re: progress report on connection problems)

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Steve wrote:

 [ Robert writes about his problem with FreeBSD machines and his Annex]

> I had similar problems using annexes as term servers with user - and have
> posted numerous times that this problem only exists with freebsd  - sco,
> linux, etc doesnt have trouble - only every time I post it I get bashed
> about the head and lectured on freebsd having perfect tcp/ip and
> everything else in the world having faulty tcp/ip.

Well, turns out that a Linux 2.0 box also stalled on this.  However,
methinks it might be time to raise the issue of default settings for RFC
1323 extensions in FreeBSD boxes.

Since RFC 1323 deals with long fat pipes, which very few of us have, it
would make sense to turn the extensions off in the shipped /etc/sysconfig.
Those people who are communicating with TCP between the two ends of a 1.5
Mbps satellite link, or an intercontinental 45 Mbps link, probably know
who they are and can turn the extensions on.  I know that some people in
the continental USA can claim a 45 Mbps path to their favourite ftp site 4
states away, but surely those paths are used by others, reducing the
'fatness' of the pipe for RFC 1323 purposes.  Local area ATM might be
'fat' but generally is not 'long' enough to cause the problems with RFC
1323 addresses.

Leaving the extensions on by default causes much grief for people with old
Annexes, prevents people whose ISPs use Annexes from reading FreeBSD box
web pages or sending mail to FreeBSD boxes, and generates enormous amounts
of traffic on the FreeBSD mailing lists.

regards,

Danny