Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 16:14:16 +0100 (BST)
From:      " Stephen P. Butler" <stephen@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org, "Charles B. Robey" <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Subject:   Re: New 4.4BSD book - group buy

On Wed, 8 May 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:

> OK, this is about the recently released Addison Wesley book, The Design
> and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System, by McKusick, Bostic
> Karels, and Quarterman.
>
> I called Readme.doc, and they said they would be happy to offer a
> discount, and yes, they would let the agregate of however many FreeBSDers
> order count against one big discount pool.  They said that they'd be
> happy to arrange shipping, tho they would charge $3/per person shipping.
>
> I didn't ask about any more, but it keeps on in like fashion.  They said
> that they DO handle European shipping, but it's very expensive on a
> book-by book basis.  They suggested that maybe someone in Europe could
> get all the books (shrinking the shipping costs) and then re-ship there,
> to cut the costs.  I'm in Maryland, so I can't do that, someone in Europe
> is going to have to volunteer that.
>
> If you want the book, send me Email about it.  Make sure you have a good
> email return address.  Don't send me money, don't send anything like
> that, I'm just supposed to get names/numbers.  I will send back payment
> instructions when I think I have got everyone (1-2 weeks probably).  For
> folks inthe US, this probably means you'll end up calling Readme.Doc
> direct, giving them a credit card number, and referencing the FreeBSD
> group-buy.  I'm just supposed to get names so they can figure a discount
> to offer.
>
> I'll repost when I get more info, when I get an idea how many folks want
> to do this.  I have several folks already mailing me, even before I knew
> Readme.Doc would do this.  For your info, I've been using Readme.Doc for
> some time now, because they discount Unix books (like the 4.4BSD manuals
> they sold me, and various other O'Reilly books I didn't have to pay full
> price for).  I have never had anything but good service from them.

I'd be interested in getting a copy of this book.  If you need a
European person to arrange reshipping then I may be able to volunteer
if we can sort out how to cover postage.

Regards,
   S.
|Stephen Butler                       |stephen@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk |
|Computer Science Undergraduate.      |                        |
|Royal Holloway, University of London.|                        |