Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:30:33 -0500
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        Arthur Munn <netbsdadvocate@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: header files for sockets

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 10:25:30PM -0500, Arthur Munn wrote:
> hello everyone, I am just now learning about sockets in FreeBSD. I have
> managed to find some great freely available docs online, but there is a
> problem, the header files they tell you to include are no longer correct. So
> what I would like to know is the header files I will need to include to work
> with sockets. If that is not specific enough, here is a brief summary of the
> system calls i will need to use:
>
> socketpair();
> socket();
> bind();
> connect();
> listen();
> sendto();
> recvfrom();
> send();
> recv();
>
> ok thats about the gist of it, so if anyone know the header files I need to
> include to access those systems calls it would be great, because the only
> way i am ever gonna really learn this is if i get in there and code :-)

the header files necessary for all of these system calls are listed at the top
of the man pages describing them.  if you want a more in depth treatment, i
suggest reading "Unix Network Programming" by W. Richard Stevens, widely
regarded as the best text on network programming anywhere.

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would