Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:45:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      "JASSAL Aman" <aman.jassal@esigetel.fr>
To:        "Gaurav Bhateja" <gaurav.bhateja@aricent.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SCTP : problems in sending ASCONF chunks

Hello Gaurav,

Le Jeu 17 décembre 2009 08:17, Gaurav Bhateja a écrit :
> Hi Vlad,
>

> I would really appreciate if you could help me out on this issue.
>

> I came to know about this email ID from the link
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2009-January/020683.html
>

> I am getting error, "Operation not permitted" when setting peer primary
> address from server. I am using linux version 2.6-15(client) ---
> 2.6.21(server)
>

> Would there be a problem in dynamically configuring primary address using
> sctp options, SCTP_PRIMARY_ADDR and SCTP_SET_PEER_PRIMARY_ADDR for these
> linux versions?

I was working on performing hard handovers with SCTP using a FreeBSD
client (7.0 at that time) and a Linux base-station (2.6.21 if memory
serves), but the SCTP module for this version didn't support the dynamic
configuration of the address for the ASCONF chunk very well, eventually I
just switched both machines to FreeBSD to continue working on this
subject.

> You have suggested that its better to use linux version - 2.6-25.  (It is
> difficult for us to switch to these versions due to license issues)
>
> Could you provide is any other way to solve this issue.

You could manually build and install a newer version of the lk-SCTP module
from the source code. But I haven't worked with lk-sctp since then
(January I mean), so I don't know if it is wiser to upgrade all your
kernel sources, and not just the sctp source code. Vlad is much better
suited to answer that one.