Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 11:00:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, ragnar@sysabend.org
Subject:   Re: BSD, GPL, the world today.

Actually - this comes down to the argument of what the market will
bear, contract law, and the legal ramifications of bugs/problems.

You "bought" the software, and agreed to the license terms
when you opened the box, didn't you - Caveat Emptor.

As long as you keep buying it, people/companies will keep making it.

And, being a software manafacturer myself (see http://www.dignus.com) - the
thought of having legal responsibility for a potential problem in my
software (which you've mentioned, despite anyone's best efforts,  will
have bugs) is very scary.  I would want to pass that responsibility to
the developers who wrote it,  just as a bridge engineer is responsible
for the bridge he designs.  Then, the developers would, presumably, have
to become licensed and have professional development/malpractice insurance...
which ultimately drives up the price of the software.

So, as everyone else, we disclaim everything up-front in our license
agreement and sell our software at reasonable prices.

But -hackers isn't likely the place for this...

	- Dave Rivers -