Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:31:40 -0600
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        nathan <beemern@ksu.edu>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: berkeley packet filter doesn't work??

At 03:22 PM 1/31/00 -0600, nathan wrote:
>I am trying to do some scanning of our office LAN to look for potential
>security breaches (eg. plaintext user/pass combinations thru SAMBA, POP
>auth, etc) and for inappropriate web browsing (eg. porn, hate sites,
>etc)
>
>however... when i run tcpdump, ethereal, readsmb, etc.  --> all i see
>are the packets that have the host/destination address of my computer
>(the one i'm running these apps on)
>
>i have the appropriate line in my kernel config for the Berkely Packet
>Filter
>    pseudo-device bpfilter 4
>
>and i did the ol
>    sh MAKEDEV bpf0
>
>plus.. if bpf isn't config'd properly, those apps won't even RUN
>
>all i'm wanting to do is scan the traffic of the approximate 20 machines
>that we have connected through a 100 mbit/s 3com switch

Umm....I'd check the swith..(Trying to remember the definition of a
swith)..But if it's a nice one, it's probably only routing the packets
destine for your mac address to you, and not all packets on the network... :)

>my questions-->
>
>1) am i incorrect in my understanding of bpf??
>
>2) if so, what in the hell good is berkeley packet filter if i can't see
>any other packets 'sides those coming to/from my computer explicitly??
>
>3) how can i correct this so i can see ALL (or at least MORE) of the
>LAN traffic??
>
>TIA!!

Jonathan E. Lyons
parrothd@midwest.net			Nucleus Consulting
ICQ # 14226912			www.nucleusconsulting.com
Cell # 773-251-1967			A+, MCSE, CCNA, FreeBSD!