Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 00:00:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Oliver Wilson <owilson@CAM.ORG>, Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Usable SMP on 971208

Well, I follow a slightly different approach:

1)  Pick a date X
2)  Watch the mailing lists for screams of anguish for a period, call it
	Y.
3)  At time Z=X+Y, if screaming has devolved to whimpering, upgrade to
	-current as of time X.
4)  Y should be on the order of 10-14 days.

I used to have a more complicated formula involving the analysis of the
volumes of mail on smp, correlated with the # of postings by John or DG,
subtract out the number of postings by DG involving network cards, add all
the RCS version numbers together, and then correlate that whole mess with
the number of postings by Doug White already answered in the FAQ, and when
those two events when graphed with my crayola's and a sheet of graph
paper were indistinguishable from the asymptote, and 8 planets lined
up, then I installed.

But it was taking longer to run the analysis than to do the
backup/upgrade, and then finally the batteries in my HP48GX ran out, and I
couldn't figure it all out anymore.  And I ran out of Burnt Umber, and I
hate to graph in Sienna.

And it's late.  And I need to go install -current, because everything
seems in conjunction.

I'll probably adopt Jordan's approach. :)