Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:53:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mik Firestone <fireston@lexmark.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG (port list Port list)
Subject:   Problems building libXpm

I am recently installed with 3.0-19980923-SNAP and I am fully ELFitized.

Everything has been fine and working smooth - I was able to install all the
non-X related ports I commonly use ( screen, sudo, etc ).  Indeed I was
even able to build and install XFree86 with no noticable pain ( thanks
indeed to the porters for that one ).

It is when I try to build libXpm that I have problems.  The library builds
correctly, but when I try to link sxpm, I see:

rm -f sxpm
cc -o sxpm -O2 -fno-strength-reduce   -L/usr/lib/compat   -L/usr/X11R6/lib sxpm.o -L../lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11    -lgnumalloc  -Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
*** Error code 1

Stop.

sxpm.o: In function `main':
sxpm.o(.text+0x3f0): undefined reference to `XpmReadFileToPixmap'
sxpm.o(.text+0xa9f): undefined reference to `XpmReadFileToPixmap'
sxpm.o(.text+0xb6b): undefined reference to `XpmCreatePixmapFromData'
sxpm.o(.text+0xbb4): undefined reference to `XpmWriteFileFromPixmap'
sxpm.o: In function `Punt':
sxpm.o(.text+0xf47): undefined reference to `XpmFreeAttributes'
sxpm.o(.text+0xfb2): undefined reference to `XpmFreeAttributes'
sxpm.o: In function `VersionInfo':
sxpm.o(.text+0x1069): undefined reference to `XpmLibraryVersion'
sxpm.o(.text+0x1078): undefined reference to `XpmLibraryVersion'

Using my (limitted) powers, I am quite certain these functions are in
libXpm and the linker is finding libXpm.  The port is not marked broken the
make file has the OBJFORMAT voodoo at the bottom, so I am assuming it
should work in an ELF world.

I have also built a variety of other graphics libraries without any
problems.

So, what have I missed, how do I fix this or is it safe to ignore ( I don't
use sxpm anyway :).

Thanks for any help,
Mik

--