Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:29:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Kuri <jaykuri@oneway.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Subject:   Max open files per process, changing param.c

Hello,

I'm working on some programs that require very large numbers of files
open per process.  200-500 easily.  I've done some research, and came to
/usr/src/sys/conf/param.c... I notice that the system-wide-limit for open
files is the same as the per-process-limit for open files.

My main question is this:

	What, if any, ramifications will changing 'maxfiles' in param.c to
increase max open files system-wide?  If 'maxfilesperproc' is different
from 'maxfiles' will that cause any problems?

Additionally, Will I run into other problems with regard to high file
descriptor numbers?  I know that on Solaris (2.5 anyway) even though you
can kick the max-open-files per process up to 2048, the FILE structure
limits the file descriptor number to 1 byte, to 256 total.  Will I run
into similar problems with FreeBSD?

Any Help would be appreciated,

Jay
---
Everyone can be taught to sculpt:  Michelangelo would have had to be
taught how not to.  So it is with the great programmers.