Date:      Sat, 4 May 1996 14:10:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   recovering a disklabel-less drive

    I've got a drive I'm trying to recover data off of for
someone, but it has no disklabel.  I know the sizes of the
partitions, and have successfully gotten access to the 'a'
partition, however, I can't seem to get access to any of the
rest.  There is a 32M 'a' partition, a 100M 'b' swap partition,
a 100M 'e' partition, 100M 'f' partiton, 200M 'g' partition, and
a 1021M 'h' partition.  The problem lies in that I don't know if
the swap partition is interspersed with these or not.  I've tried
many combinations of offsets and can't seem to get a recognizable
superblock magic.  I have dd'd through most of the drive, so I
know that the data is there.  Is there anyone out there that has
been through this and knows how to reliably determine partition
offsets and sizes by scanning the output from reading the raw
device?  Or is there some way to "force" a superblock magic?
Thanks for any and all suggestions!

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead