Date:      Tue, 16 May 2006 09:23:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: Alpha support is being retired in 7.0

On Thu, 11 May 2006, John Baldwin wrote:

> Alpha was the first non-x86 port that was added to FreeBSD, and as such it has
> greatly aided the efforts to keep FreeBSD from being too i386-centric.
> However, recently the Alpha port has not had any active development or
> maintenance.  As a result, the quality of the Alpha releases that the Project
> provides are not on par with other supported architectures and is in fact
> degrading.  Unfortunately, as an architecture it has also been killed by its
> creator.
>
> After considering all of this, it is time to part with Alpha for 7.0 and
> beyond.  At this time it is still planned to provide 6.x releases for
> FreeBSD/alpha.  The code will still be around in CVS history if someone
> suddenly shows up and fixes a bunch of bugs and/or the architecture is
> revived.  Users with Alpha systems are welcome to use existing releases of
> FreeBSD/alpha or another BSD such as NetBSD/alpha.  We would still like to
> see bug fixes for FreeBSD/alpha on 6.x so that the final release is solid.

A backport of the if_em jumboframe changes would be nice
for the last few alpha people with gigabit, although I'll
probably will be able to backport it myself.

/me wanders off, still looking for that elusive alphaserver ds15 :)

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem