Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:48:47 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom - help ...

On 09/21/06 15:27, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 03:09:09PM -0500, Rick C. Petty wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 02:30:37AM -0700, R. B. Riddick wrote:
>>> Oh! And I am experimenting with my geom_raid5 implementation... But it is quite
>>> slow in write to UFS (but non-concurrrent write to raw-device is quite fast
>>> already). U can download it here (but it is quite difficult to integrate - many
>>> files have to be changed handish):
>>>   http://home.tiscali.de/cmdr_faako/geom_raid5.tbz
>> Is everybody forgetting about gvinum?  Just because it was
>> totally broken in 6.0 and 5.5..
>
> I'd like to use gvinum.  Are you using it in production?  6.1?
>
> How did you set up your root partition?  Swap (in particular, for
> handling core dumps).
>
> How did you test it?
>
> My choice is either gvinum or NetBSD Raidframe.  I'd much prefer
> the FreeBSD route.

I think a large number of people in datacenters are using hardware RAID
these days, and if they don't need that, then the simplicity of the
graid3/gmirror/gstripe tools covers it.  gvinum isn't as easy to use,
and there's been reports of problems with it, so people who use it in
datacenters will find something that at least *appears* more stable.

I've found gmirror and gstripe to be fantastically stable.  So stable, I
never needed gvinum - but then I use hardware RAID for anything other
than striping and mirroring.

There is at least one person currently working on gvinum to make it a
very nice offering.  Search this list and you'll find him recently
posting about it.

Eric