Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2019 11:28:45 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
To:        jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   netstat in a jail, 12 vs 13

Hi,

I have a jail that I swap between a 12.0 userland and a -current
userland, and I'm looking at network diagnosis tools available to the
jail in both.

-current jail on -current can see its own network.

root@loghost:/var/db/pkg # sockstat -4
USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN ADDRESS
root     sendmail   37707 4  tcp4   127.0.0.1:25          *:*
root     sshd       37704 4  tcp4   *:22                  *:*
root     syslogd    37639 6  udp4   *:514                 *:*
root@loghost:/var/db/pkg # netstat -na -f inet
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4       0      0 127.0.0.1.25           *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0 *.22                   *.*                    LISTEN
udp4       0      0 *.514                  *.*

12.0 jail on -current host:

root@loghost:~ # sockstat -4
sockstat: struct xinpgen size mismatch
root@loghost:~ # netstat -na -f inet
netstat: kvm not available: /dev/mem: No such file or directory
Some tcp sockets may have been deleted.
Some udp sockets may have been deleted.

Neither jail has /dev/mem or /dev/kmem access--they have the same
jail.conf entry, I literally move the userland directory. It appears
that -current netstat/sockstat doesn't need /dev/mem?

As a workaround in the non-vnet case, I can use the host's netstat to
view open sockets on a 12.0 jail.

That doesn't work with vnets, though.

Questions:

-Does netstat in -current no longer need /dev/mem, or is something else
going on?

-Is there a way for a jail owner in 12.0 and earlier to view sockets on
their jail?

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	https://mwl.io/
author of: Absolute OpenBSD, SSH Mastery, git commit murder,