Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:27:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org
Cc:        grehan@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ppc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: Also interested in testing

Sean Welch writes:
 > Please forgive my ignorance -- my understanding of the boot
 > process is minimal at best.  I think you mean that you have
 > the program loader (found under /boot on a FreeBSD system)
 > in the OS X partition (slice?).  You then run that from
 > OF and tell it where the FreeBSD slice is so that it can
 > boot the kernel.  This makes sense to me.  The next part

Yes.

 > contradicts my understanding of the process...
 >
 > You said you can boot the kernel directly -- that sounds
 > as though you bypass the loader program altogether, but

Yes.

 > how do you specify the slice and root partition of the
 > rest of the system?  If it starts directly from the OS X

It can't find its root partition, so it stops at the mountroot prompt
(where a normal system would mount root, it gives you a prompt).
You then tell it ufs:ad0s10 (or wherever your FreeBSD partition is).

In fact, when I was playing with this, the loader couldn't really pass
the root device to the kernel either, since you need to specify the
root device in OFW syntax (<30 chars or so of hex and device names>),
not FreeBSD syntax (ad0s10).  So in either case, the kernel would
stop and ask for its root.

Hope this helps,

Drew