Date:      Fri, 04 Jul 1997 10:22:51 -0500
From:      Wm Foote <bfoote@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Technical questions, please forward the the proper person

Hi,

I'm new to UNIX and naturally am having a little difficulty.  I have two
question then I'll describe my system.

1.  I tried installing FreeBSD on a drive by itself configured as the
master drive on the secondary IDE channel. I got the msg 'PANIC, cannot
mount /root' or something like that. When I switched the drive to be the
master on the primary channel and reinstalled it worked.  Please let me
know if what I was trying to do is allowed and if so what did I do
wrong?

2.  I cannot find any instructions in my 1750+ page FreeBSD manual on
how to configure Booteasy.  I would like to have a choice of booting Win
NT (located in an NTFS partition of the master drive on the primary
channel), Win95 (on a FAT32 partition of the master drive on the primary
channel), or FreeBSD (located on its own partition on the master drive
on the secondary channel).  Please advice on how this can be
accomplished.

My system is as follows: IBM 6x86MX-233 processor, AMI Win BIOS
(revision date ?? I'd need to reboot now), TX PRO choppiest (generic),
Popgun motherboard ?? w/sound, VideoLogic GraphixStar 600 PCI 2MB,
Seagate Medalist Pro 6.5GB as master on the primary channel divided into
two partitions of equal size NTFS/FAT32, 24X generic ATAPI CD-ROM as
slave on the primary channel, Quantum fireball ST series 3.2GB as master
on the secondary channel FreeBSD partition, Mitsumi ATAPI CD-R as slave
on the secondary channel, MS bus mouse, no network, no other cards, 96MB
SDRAM, 1MB L2 cache, and an HP Deskjet 400 printer. My BIOS allows me to
boot off any IDE device including CD-ROMs (FreeBSD didn't boot but Win
NT 4.0 Workstation did)

As you may have noticed I said that FreeBSD installed ok on the primary
channel, but later I said it was on the secondary channel, and that is
correct.  I had to switch my drives back after ruining 3 CD-R disks. For
some reason what works for FreeBSD does not work for my CD-R software
(Adaptec Easy-CD Pro 95).  I have not yet tried rebooting FreeBSD to see
if it will now work.

Thank you for your help.

Wm. Foote
bfoote@bigfoot.com