Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:42:10 -0700
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP beeping

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:12:35AM -0500, Matthew Emmerton wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Chad David wrote:
>
> > I sent a message about this to -stable last week, but didn't get any
> > input that resulted in a solution to this problem so...
> >
> > -stable for the last week or more (I did a make world last week for
> > the first time in over a month) beeps on and off when SMP is enabled.
> > The beeping appears to be timed with very short stalls of the system;
> > that is, when moving the mouse across the screen it stops at what
> > seems to be that start of each beep.  The beeps are not consistent
> > in length, but the tone does not change.  If I boot a kernel with
> > the exact same config only with SMP disabled it does not beep, and
> > mouse cursor movement is fluid.
>
> You never mentioned that the beeps were caused by moving your mouse
> before!

I didn't mention it because that is not what is does :).  If you read
the above you will notice that I am still not saying that.  What I was
saying was that there is a noticable pause in the system when ever a
beep begins (every 1/2 sec - 1 sec), and the mouse is an obvious indicator
of that.

My assumption is that either something is beeping on purpose (there is a
hardware/bios/kernel problem that I do not know about), or something in
the kernel is writing to a bad address when SMP is enabled.  I was hoping
that somebody was having the same problem or would at least have a better
idea then I do.

> Are you using a KVM?  If so, does this problem occur when using a mouse
> that is directly connected to you system?

Both with and without the switch it beeps.  This machine has been runing
for months without any problems... the only change was a make world, and
a new kernel.  The kernel I am running is basically GENERIC with SMP
enabled.

Since it appears nobody else is having the same problem, I guess I will
pull the box out of production, and hack on it.  I was hoping not to have
to do that (my fault for putting -stable on it in the first place I guess).

--
Chad David        davidc@acns.ab.ca
ACNS Inc.         Calgary, Alberta Canada