Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:51:10 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

Chris Dillon wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > You obviously didn't follow the links.  The HP ProCurve I mentioned is $1880
> > for 40 switched 10/100 ports with layer 3 functionality and VLAN support.
> > That's $47 port port, much lower than your $250/port, with a LOT more performance
> > also.  The Tolly Group recently tested it and found it capable of sustaining
> > full wire speed on all 40 ports.  I'll just be your PCI-bus box isn't going
> > to hit 4 Gbps throughput.
>
> I noticed the only "L3 support" from the spec sheets of the 4000M and
> 8000M is IGMP snooping to control multicast traffic, and "protocol
> filtering" only on the 8000M.  Nothing close to IP routing, however
> (not that you said it did, specifically, just clarifying).

That's why the price is so much "better" than the 24-port OmniStack.  The
OS4024 does L2 switching, L3 routing for IP and IPX, supports RIPv1
routing protocols, DHCP redirection, L3 authentication, etc., etc.,
etc.

> When the
> Tolly Group said they could "sustain full wire speed on all 40 ports",
> was that testing each one at a time or all at once?  My math isn't
> quite warped enough to allow 40 100Mbit/FD ports to all be saturated
> with only a 3.8Gbit backplane, unless local switching occurs on each
> of the port modules, and even then the "throughput test" would have to
> take that into account and not try to move too much data across the
> backplane.

I'd have to go find the article again.  The vendors have an interesting
role in some of these tests, where they have the Tolly Group verify some
of the claims the vendors make.  In this case, the Tolly Group is basically
performing an audit of the test results.  They could have concocted a test
they know the switch will pass and then have Tolly just verify the switch
does indeed do what they say it does in all the fine print.  In this case,
it would seem it would have to be a half-duplex test at the very least.

> You may also notice that the HP ProCurve 9304M and 9308M Routing
> Switches (these DO have IP/IPX routing, but they certainly aren't
> cheap... nice kit, BTW), bear an uncanny resemblance in both looks,
> specs, and a digit of their model name to the Foundry Networks BigIron
> 4000 and 8000, respectively.

My experience has been you have to be careful whom you OEM to in this
industry, lest they decide they want ALL of your equipment painted their
color.  It's been pretty good for Xylanders so far.  At least the new
color isn't beige.  (Ack!)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com