Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 1995 08:11:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Jim Swain <dswain@bev.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support

On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, Jim Swain wrote:

> I have a general question that I do not seem to be able to find any
> documentation.  I am attempting to install FreeBSD on my PC (Gateway2000).
> It has a 3Com Etherlink III card
> in it (3C509b - TPO).  I have used the boot floopy to begin my installation
> and manually configured the correct i/o ports and IRQ.  However, FreeBSD
> still does no recognize that I have this ethernet card.  Where can I find
> documentation on troubleshooting this type of problem?

	the card should be recognized if the ioaddr and irq are set the
same in both the kernel and the card itself, AND there is not a conflict
with another card in either the kernel or the hardware.  boot FreeBSD
with the -cv options.  at the 'config>' prompt use 'ls' to check the card
settings in the kernel.  kernel settings can be changed with the 'irq'
and 'ioaddr' commands.   disable any devices in the kernel that conflict
with the ep0 driver (ep0 is the 509 driver.  the 0 in ep0 indicates the
first 509 card)

	if your difficulties continue please send in the output of /sbin/dmesg.

jmb

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346