Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 16:47:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sean-Paul Rees <sean@dreamfire.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntpd isn't syncing, or passing any messages

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Sean-Paul Rees wrote:

> I'm trying to sync time with a ntp server, so I can inturn sync my PC's in
> my network. xntpd is just not syncing. Is there a special kernel option I
> need? xntpd isn't putting messages in my systemlog.

It should spew some stuff when it comes up.

> My network is unroutable, and my system has two interfaces (the other to
> a routable network), and does routing between the two. The default route
> is outside the network though.
>
> Any ideas?

Well, you hvae to be able to talk to the server ... try running 'xntpdc'
to get into the controller, then run 'peers' and see if it's seeing the
remotes (ie, the 'st' (stratum) isn't 16).

For example, mine looks like (ip hidden by me):

sturbei,ttyp1,~,17>xntpdc
xntpdc> peers
     remote           local      st poll reach  delay   offset    disp
*network-service xx.yy.zz.qq      2 1024  377 0.04721  0.000276 0.00952

> /etc/ntp.conf:
> server clepsydra.dec.com prefer
> server time.apple.com

You should pick something *really* close, like your ISP.  xntpd won't work
if they're too far away; the dispersion never syncs up.  You can use
ntpdate against any NTP server, though, it doesn't care.

Doug White