Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:18 EST
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thread issues

The only reason I can conceive of to depart from standard APIs is if
they are seriously broken, and I've seen no such claim.  As long as
the Posix thread API is available, having it built on some more
comfortable underlying proprietary API is fine - Unixware does it
that way.  But not to have the Posix API available would condemn
fbsd-smp to irrelevancy.

Win32 threads could be offered the same way, but my main desire is
for Posix.

Of course, a great deal of the real work comes in making thread-safe
versions of the C library, where possible.  Debate over APIs just
adds delay - which is a good reason to go with the standard.

Barney Wolff  <barney@databus.com>