Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 21:25:25 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Igor Podlesny <poige@morning.ru>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Checking changes to listening ports in /etc/security

From: Igor Podlesny <poige@morning.ru>
Date: Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 11:11:10AM +0800

> Hello!
>
> I've done similar thing by myself also, cause I have been working with
> some  Linux  distros,  where it is an usual thing (I mean detection of
> any listeners changes) and I consider this is useful.
>
> But,  the  idea is slightly different -- my code is being called every
> minute  (cron).

Yes I thought of something like that too, and many of the /etc/security checks
would be nice to run more often.

But having all of the /etc/security checks run every minute is an overkill :(
It would practically bring my box to its knees.

I think I'll stick to a diff of sockstat.today and sockstat.yesterday in my
daily security checks.

-giorgos