Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 07:33:19 -0600
From:      "Aaron Wohl" <freebsd@soith.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Stable List" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Maxtor Firewire Drives

> The enclosure I have gets this ->
> firewire0: New S400 device ID:0030e001e0017089
> firewire0: Device SBP-II
> sbp0: <SBP2/SCSI over firewire> on firewire0
> da1 at sbp0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da1: <Wise Adv Wise Advanced ID 0028> Fixed Simplified Direct Access
> SCSI-4 device
> da1: 50.000MB/s transfers
> da1: 76319MB (156301488 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 9729C)
> sbp0:0:0 request timeout ... agent reset

I note this is NOT a maxtor dv5000, that doesnt mount at all.  The error
you see in the log sbp0:0:0 request timeout ... agent reset you only have
one of.  Depending on the timeing you get a lot more of them - and long
delays and trashed data.   It may depend on machine speed as well most of
the machines we tried this on where 2600 mhz or 2800 mhz with fast disks.
 I notice that disk your trying is an 80gig.  We where trying larger
disks.  I just put an 80 gig in an ADS enclosure and its getting a lot
less errors, but still some.  Perhaps there are more problems for 120+
gigabyte disks.  I don't think firewire disks are ready for use in
backups yet on freebsd... im having no problems using 120gb firewire
disks with retrospect remote under win xp though (on the same hardware
exactly we tried freebsd on).