Date:      01 Nov 1999 14:11:35 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "easy installation"!!!!! yeah right

"Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net> writes:

> Unfortunately, it's ALL a question of marketing and PR.

And how far into the ease-of-use thing one will get to go, before all
things start to get more stupid than fast or stable.

I am not suggesting that anyone is stupid for using this OS or the
other, but I truly believe that it's difficult to make a "program", in
the general sense of the word, to be both one-click-easy and stable as a
rock.  Then again, it might be that I am a lousy programmer.

> The proof is staring us all in the face --- a marginal product
> (windoze vis-a-vis FBSD) has made it huge worlwide.

Everything depends on what target-group one has.  Windows are aiming to
the "newbie" masses, whose motto is "just get my work done" (a fairly
long discussion of the subject might prove that in the long run they
*don't* get their job done, but that's another thing).  Windows has
managed to convince a large crowd that they are easy to use, just
because they have a point-and-click interface.  And MS was truly great
in using that marketting thing to make this happen.

> Linux is making huge headway.

Linux is in a fuzzy state, and there is not a common consensus as to
"which users are we aiming to?"  An operating system and assorted tools
that aim to both the SA folks and the average John Newbie user is very
difficult to make.

> FBSD will *never* evangelise and convert the masses unless it does
> likewise -- but better.

The question is: do we *want* the masses to run FreeBSD?

And I really mean it.  FreeBSD is great for me, but I was lucky enough
to learn SunOS 4.3 on a VT-100 terminal, long before I got my hands on
any DOS-based computer.  Some things might come naturally to me, but to
the masses... well, I don't know.

> Here's a golden opportunity to take the wind out of both Windoze and
> Linux's sails.

You're probably on the wrong path of the source, Luke.  Trying to take
the "wind" of others sails is not the way a Jendi knight is supposed to
live for.

We're not using and/ror contributing to FreeBSD because we want it to
overhaul and destroy Windows, or Linux for that matter.  We're using
FreeBSD because we like those little details that make the difference.
You got to love Unix to be able to use FreBSD effectively :-)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]