Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:48:29 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StrongARM support?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 03:12:35PM -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:
> I would be quite interested. But do we have the resouces and the man-hours
> to handle IA-64/KA-64/PPC/Alpha/StrongARM at the same time?

Agreed.

> Perhaps the first step would be to start a freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
> mailing list?

Then why start Yet Another(tm) mailing list for it as everyone has agreed
it isn't time for that yet.

> However, imho we should finish the FreeBSD/PPC project first.
> The StrongARM is quite similiar to the PPC processors.  If we
> get the loader and init working, the rest will be a breeze.

The loader would be very different from PowerPC for any StrongARM
development platform I'm aware of -- DNARD and CATS.

Uh... you certainly seem to have forgotten about locore.s and pmap
modules.  They are not "a breeze".

> We could simply build a cross-gcc on ARM/Linux and the rest is
> making sure that everything compiles.

How about concentrating effort on just _one_ new platform (ok, two --
ia64 and powerpc)???

> The good thing is that we do not need SMP on FreeBSD/ARM/StrongARM.
> (PowerPC still needs SMP support though.)

Yes and no.  Depend ons what you're doing with the powerpc -- remember
the most interest for FreeBSD/PowerPC to date has been embedded products
and comm processors.  They don't tend to be SMP boards.  I really don't
see running on Mac G3/4 as the driving reason -- that machine is just the
reference and development platform.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX