Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:38:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Anthony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   imgact_interp

I wrote a kld module to invoke java on class files.  I'd like to
generalize it before send-pr'ing it.  However, I'm new at this sort of
thing, and don't know how to best send registrations to the module.
To allow an interpreter I to interpret files matching N bytes of magic
M, I would like to send the module <I,M>, but since M may contain
nuls, I can't really use sysctls (the hammer I know), unless I were to
escape the nuls somehow, which seems grotty.  I could add a well-known
secondary magic file, or a syntactic extension to /etc/magic, but those
seems kludgy as well.  How should this properly be done?