Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 11:42:35 -0500
From:      chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device drivers

On Nov 15, 11:33am, "Ron G. Minnich" wrote:
} I still take it as pretty significant that dec allowed an employee to
} ship a driver. Given the way companies are about IP nowadays that's a
} pretty significant statement of support on dec's part.
}
	I agree.

} Intel, on the other hand, is still behaving like intel. A 5-year nda is
} really out of control. I'd think very hard before signing such a
} document, esp. when we end up with object only (although i hate to admit
} sarnoff did finally sign it -- we were under time pressure). What about

	Does this mean you have a device driver written?
Oh, I agree, these types of agreements stifle (sp?) developement but some-
times you have to bite the bullet. (this discussion sounds an awful
lot like the discussion about writing a driver for one of the newer
adaptecs).

} the .h files: are you not allowed to even ship those?

	Good question!!! This might require contacting Intel.

}
} ron
}
} Ron Minnich                |Like a knife through Daddy's heart:
} rminnich@sarnoff.com       |"Don't make fun of Windows, daddy! It takes care
} (609)-734-3120             | of all my files and it's reliable and I like it".
}
}
}-- End of excerpt from "Ron G. Minnich"

--
Charles Green				             UN*X System Administration
22 Powell Ave. Apt. B 		   	                  UN*X Security   &