Date:      Thu, 9 Feb 1995 11:54:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        steve@cioeserv.cioe.com (Steve Ames)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: uucico...

> OLD: chat "" \d ogin: \L word: \P
> NEW: chat "" \d ogin: \d\L word: \P
>
> Mind, I'm not entirely sure why that worked but it did. With full
> debuggin turned on on both sides you can see what happens.

Some getty's flush (or otherwise mangle) data in the input buffer right
after printing "login:", a pause after the receipt of the "login:" does
wonders to ensure that the text you're sending isn't victimized in this
manner.

I know it sounds silly.  But remember that another character (' ') is
printed after the ":", which most people don't wait for, and a fast modem
and box on the other end can easily turn around and start pumping out the
login name during this time (and the flush is not instantaneous, either).

... Joe