Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:24:11 -0800
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@encontacto.net>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: majordomo freebsd port (permission denied error with sendmail)

Quoting Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>:

> I think the correct solition is to put mailnull user into majordom
> group in /etc/group
>
> Well my majordomo just started working when I put mailnull into majordom
> group. I didnt need to touch anything about /usr/libexec/sm.bin
I changed ownership on all of majordomo but this may have been an overkill :-)

> By the way I only made simple commands lists etc. work so I dont know how
> much functionality I have yet.
>
> Even though sendmail man pages for smrsh suggests that the commands should
> be put into /usr/libexec/sm.bin somehow my solution is also working
> perhaps because I have the full path after | in aliases?

I just linked it in because I was trying to fix everything in sight.  I
really don't know if it is necessary but it can't hurt and you never know
with sendmail when it will be needed if it isn't now.

The above and the super port of /usr/ports/mail/courier 37.2 by Yarema
<yds@CoolRat.org>, that just works out of the box, has convenced me
to switch to courier and openldap.  After many years of Sendmail, I'm
tired of it, uw-imap, pam, and no more mail or ftp users in etc/passwd.

ed

> Evren
>
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Edwin Culp wrote:
>

> > Does wrapper also need to be linked to /usr/libexec/sm.bin.  I asked
> > about this some time ago on this list and got no answer so I changed
> > user:group to mailnull:mailnull for /usr/local/majordomo and linked
> > wrapper to /usr/libexec/sm.bin and it seems to work fine but I could
> > very well be mistaken.  I also use hypermail and had to make the
> > same changes to it.
> >
> > There seems to be a similar problem with mailman although I just tested
> > it at the time of the sendmail change and didn't try changing perms
> because
> > I was too busy fixing what was broken:-)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > ed
> >

> > Quoting Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>:
> >
> > > majordomo installs an entry into /etc/group file when I install it from
> > > ports but it makes a mistake.
> > > as it seems, sendmail is run as mailnull user nowadays, so daemon user
> > > doesnt have access to wrapper script properly thus it complains about
> > > permission denied errors.
> > >
> > > I guess the default install behaviour should be changed so majordomo
> adds
> > > majordom:*:54:mailnull
> > > instead of
> > > majordom:*:54:daemon
> > > into the /etc/group file
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Evren Yurtesen

> > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-ports" in the body of the message
> > >

> > ---

---