Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:35:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        java-port@FreeBSD.ORG, ritter@orbisys.com
Subject:   Can't find class blah.class

Hi,

I've just installed jdk1.1.5 and I can run the demo applets that come with
jdk just fine under appletviewer.  So now I'm trying to install several
java packages (e.g. Jogl, GL4Java, JavaCC) so I can begin the project
I want to work on in Java, namely writting a super-duper, wizbang
scientific visualization tool in Java and OpenGL.

I was able to install JavaCC from the file JavaCC0_7_1.class as follows:

java JavaCC0_7_1

But I'm having trouble running other Java _applications_ (not _applets_!!)
For example, I was able to build and install the libs and classes for
Jogl-0.7, and I could compile the demos with javac just fine but when I
tried to run one of them (e.g. bounce.class) like so:

java bounce

I get:

Can't find class bounce

or like so:

java bounce.class

I get:

Can't find class bounce.class

This occurs whether or not I have CLASSPATH set explicitly (i.e. I've
tried including . in CLASSPATH explicitly but this did not help, normally
I do not have CLASSPATH set at all). I feel like I'm soooo close to having
things set up for java development.  Any help you could give would be
greatly appreciated.  Please respond to me directly as I'm not on your
mailing list.

Thanks,

Tom