Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 08:17:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Randy Katz <randyk@ccsales.com>
To:        Thomas Neuhaus <neuhaus@folkwang.uni-essen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Mounting Question

If I export those filesystems read-only and only to root and only to
www1's IP address, isn't it the same as them being on one
machine...security wise?

Or...please explain what the problem could be.

Thanx,
Randy Katz

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Thomas Neuhaus wrote:

> > I have machines www1, www2, & www3. IP Addresses 206.5.38.5, 206.5.38.6
> > & 206.5.38.7
> >
> > Machine www1 has a tape drive and www2 & www3 don't.
> >
> > I want to mount, read-only from www1 all filesystems on all the machines
> > (www2 & www3) and be able to back them up.
>
> Not necessarily a good idea IMHO if there are other users on www1 or if
> there is an internet connection. But you might give rdump a try.
>
> regards,
>
> Thomas
>

> --
> Thomas Neuhaus(neuhaus@folkwang.uni-essen.de) Phone (49)-201-4903-333
> ICEM Institut fuer Computermusik und elektronische Medien
> Folkwang-Hochschule Essen, Klemensborn 39, D-49239 Essen

RAK

Randy A. Katz
Computer Consultation & Sales
505 S. Beverly Drive, Suite 472			       Beverly Hills, CA  90212
(213) 307-9581					       http://www.ccsales.com