Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 1997 02:01:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org (Daniel M. Eischen)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Moving CD audio data around with HP 4020i

> > Heh, I'll bet you $10 right now that I can send you an Audio CD
> > (transcribed from DAT) which you will *not* be able to duplicate
> > with your Solaris box. :-)
>
> Wait, I've got a buddy that's been trying to figure out how
> to read an audio DAT tape and write it to a CD audio track.
> Is there a known solution???  I know he'd be *very* interested
> if there was, as he's been trying to figure it out for a
> few months (on and off).

DAT frequencies are such that when combined with CD frequencies,
a harmonic "beat frequency" is created.  This makes CD's digitally
transscribed to DAT -- suck.

This is on purpose.  The American recording industry pretty much
insisted on it before they let DAT's into the country.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.