Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 21:56:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        cracauer@cons.org, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regarding all the user-supplied databases

> > 1) Some sort of FAQ database. While the main FAQ can be kept tight,
> > the idea is to have a database of FAQ submission that can be searched
>
> An interesting idea, but perhaps too ambitious to start with.

This has been discussed by a group of people already. Actually, my
first idea was to make this a simple mailing list anyone can send
their submission to, maybe moderated.

The main goal, to provide a place where people can be sure to find
solutions (as opposed to discussion) for a given problem, would be
reached by this simple solution.

But it lacks update and followup possibilities.

> > 2) Commercial entries should be editable by the responsible parties
> > (once someone approved the company is serious and gave them a passwd
> > or such).
>
> I agree.  The originator should be assigned a key.
>
> > 3) FreeBSD-related projects should have pages that can be changed by
> > outside people. See www.netbsd.org for an example project page.
>
> Yes, this would be be nice indeed and possibly a good starter project.
> Anyone approached NetBSD for their stuff? :-)

Last time I submitted something, it was a wetware driven page :-)

The key point is that all three tacks reduce to the same software
problem.

WWW pages feeded from a database, either as complete listing or
selected by search. The database should accept submissions, either by
anyone (FAQ, maybe projects) or by a maintainer (commercials) and
assign a passwd for the submitter so he can change or remove his/her
submission later. Depending on the kind of database, people can submit
followups (FAQ, maybe projects) and get a passwd assigned as well.

As I think over it, GNATS has a lot of work done in this direction
already. Mumble, time for RTFM...

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>