Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 14:34:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bruce Walter <walter@fortean.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7: ncr and de driver increasingly fickle

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Nik Clayton wrote:

> In addition, the de driver is sometimes complaining (particularly on
> system startup)
>
>     /kernel: de0: abnormal interrupt: receive process stopped

This has been happening to me on a -current system from about 3 weeks ago.
The card is a PCI based Kingston EtherRx, and the message appears only on
bootup.

de0 <Digital 21041 Ethernet> rev 17 int a irq 11 on pci0:19:0
de0: 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1
de0: address 00:c0:f0:15:e8:ed
[...]
de0: enabling 10baseT port
de0: abnormal interrupt: receive process stopped

Other than this message I have had no problems with the card/driver EXCEPT
that when the cable is disconnected from the hub or card, the interface is
no longer accessible...  The system complains about a cable fault and then
boom, no more packets.  I didn't have a chance to check into this further.
(ie: would ifconfig down then ifconfig up fix it)

- Bruce

|| Bruce M. Walter                    || 107 Timber Hollow Court #335 ||
|| Senior Network Consultant          || Chapel Hill, NC  27514       ||
|| Fortean Technologies, Inc.         || Tel: 919-967-4766            ||
|| Information Technology Consultants || Fax: 919-967-4395            ||
||       BSD Unix -- It's not just a job, it's a way of life!         ||