Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 1999 19:10:40 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE

> It seems more and more ADSL providers in the US are moving from bridged
> IP over ethernet to PPP over Ethernet as they dump whatever clunky
> solutions they started with and move to the RedBack "subscriber management
> system".  The idea it seems is to simulate the familiar dialup connection.
> This lets you hand out dynamic addresses, dump idle users, discourage
> servers, track usage, hamper NAT, and (the relevant part) discourage
> people from connecting with anything but "supported" OS's.

Uh, as one of the folks responsible for driving PPPoE development, I can
assure that the last part of your remark wasn't one of the goals we had.
It was, in fact, time-to-market given the existing bridged-ethernet
capable hardware out there.  It was also to support simultanous connections
to different service providers, and with different levels of service.  Think
low-end, consumer user vs. work-at-home teleworkers.  Why shouldn't they
be able to use the same ADSL pipe to support concurrent access to both
e.g., AOL  for the kids (that you're paying for yourself) AND
higher-performance
access that your employer is paying for.

> Is there anyone actively working on PPPoE for FreeBSD?  I don't like the
> whole concept of wrapping so many frames inside each other, but it would
> be a shame if a bunch of folks with FBSD gateways for their home nets had
> to move to Win98 and its' ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).  Blech.
>
> Could user/kernel ppp be modified?  How does this work anyhow?  Is there
> an ethernet frame type for PPPoE?  How close do you have to get to the
> ethernet driver to send PPPoE frames? Can any existing PPP implementations
> easily handle a few megabits/sec on older hardware?

We did a proof-of-concept implemention starting with the user-mode PPP
daemon and using BPF to put frames on and off the wire, with no kernel
changes.  This happened to be done on a BSDI system, but that's really
not at all significant.

I observed once before that the Whistle netgraph stuff is an ideal
sort of solution for this type of problem where you're really concerned
about performance, and don't want to context switch into a user process
for each packet.

louie
(aka louie@UU.NET)