Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 2006 07:52:05 -0600
From:      Chris Conn <cmc3list-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Raymond Pasco <ray@cultofray.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Venting my frustration with FreeBSD

Raymond Pasco wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 04:21:50PM -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
>> Something I can't stand on Linux systems is that there is no concept of
>> a "base OS" separate from "installed apps".  Everything is a mish-mash
>> under /usr and /etc.  And don't get me started on the mess that is /var.
> If I had to pick one *single* reason why I use FreeBSD, that
> "separation" is it. Everything else is just cake under the icing.

When I started working at IBM in 1997 I heard of Linux and thought, hmmm,
that sounds interesting. One of my co-workers said "try FreeBSD, it's more
like AIX". So I started with FreeBSD and later converted one of my
PCs to use Slackware Linux too just do I'd have a feel for it, ran both
for a few years. Over the years I stopped using Linux and stayed with FreeBSD.

I don't mind Linux and IBM has done some great things with it (the product I
support is built from Linux) but as a personal system FreeBSD just feels right
to me, and I feel a strong loyalty to the project.

Right now I'm using FreeBSD with Cygwin, gave my monitor to my kids so I have a
little notebook running Win2K and can use Cygwin as an X Server to switch
over to my FreeBSD box where I run Window Maker and have my music collection.
I'm using Win2K for my mail because Thunderbird is a bit slower on the FreeBSD
side (this is probably a limitation of Cygwin not FreeBSD). But otherwise it's
a great setup. Sometime next year I'll probably buy a monitor to act as a 'head'
for my FreeBSD box again :-).

Chris in Austin