Date:      Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:01:30 -0500
From:      "Frank Cameron" <fjcameron@hotmail.com>
To:        zombie@isni.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Password lengths.

Check the archives/handbook for DES/MD5 passwords.  I'm not exactly sure
what you are asking.  (I think this: you are moving users from a BSDi box
using DES passwords to a FreeBSD box using MD5 passwords?)

IIRC, it works something like this:

If you have the FreeBSD system setup to use MD5 passwords, it is backwards
compatible with DES passwords; so, if a user has a DES password (transfered
from the BSDi box) the system, while defaulting to MD5 for new passwords,
will pass the DES passwords to the old library functions.  The mail archives
should cover how to 'upgrade' from DES to MD5 after the accounts are
transferred and working.

I hope this helps.

-frank