Date:      Thu, 05 Dec 1996 16:39:04 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crashing on activating other CPUs

Hi,

> > Our 4 CPU Netserver works without SMP_INVLTLB and APIC_IO (the latter
> > has never worked). With SMP_INVLTLB, I get something similar the
> I think the problem is that damn re-direction thingy for PCI INTs to ISA bus.
> your system says the PCI disk controler uses:
> --
> I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID INT#
>     INT      conforms       level       19     7         14    7
>              ^^^^^^^^       ^^^^^
>
> Which is different from the ISA standard of active-hi/edge.  So far our
> experiments suggested that for cards (PCI & EISA) redirected to ISA INTs
> we should ignore the entries and stick with ISA levels.  This works
> on at least 1 EISA machine and 1 PCI machine that I have encountered.
> However the printout you sent earlier shows that your PCI card is
> completely loosing its INTs ubder APIC_IO, symptomatic of this pin
> being incorrectly programmed.

with Terje's success today running 4 CPUs with APIC_IO it appears I jumped
to the wrong conclusion about this issue.

So it appears to now be fact that:

  whenever PCI or EISA cards are redirected to ISA IRQs the levels get set
  to ISA values (active-hi/edge) reguardless of the "settings" in the
  mptable.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD