Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 18:04:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New boot loader and alternate kernels

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > >For on-disk usage, the key issue to me is avoiding anti-bloatist
> > >complaint (which have their fair justification).  I'd like to think we
> > >can stabilise at an object under the 100k mark, although there are of
> > >course no real hard limits yet.
> >
> > Sigh,  If Satoshi hadn't yanked tcl out, we could have used that...
>
> Nah; it was waaaay too big last time I looked, and again, no bytecode.

Geeze, guys, we're talking about something that works in the boot
process, before anything else gets going.  It's got to run by itself,
because there's no shared libs at that point; it's got to be small, and
self contained.

It's much more a choice of nothing at all, or something like Forth.
Things like tcl, or any kind of *sh, don't even offer themselves as
options.  This stuff has to be viewed kinda like embedded software, like
what goes into hand calculators, not system software.

When you're offered a choice of nothing at all, or Forth, suddenly Forth
begins looking pretty good.  Of course, that's often why Forth gets
used.

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).