Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:02:52 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Evolution does not start anymore after an upgrade

Hi,

On Wednesday 11 April 2012 20:56:13 Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Erich Dollansky
> <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com> wrote:
> >
> > (evolution:23621): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_schema_get_type: assertion `schema != NULL' failed
> >
> > (evolution:23621): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_schema_get_default_value: assertion `schema != NULL' failed
> >
> > (evolution:23621): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_new: assertion `GCONF_VALUE_TYPE_VALID(type)' failed
> >
> > evolution-shell-ERROR **: Unable to create EShellSettings property for GConf key '/apps/evolution/addressbook/completion/show_address' of type 'invalid'
>
> Upgrade from what to? We have no idea what you have done as we haven't
> commit any of upgrade for months (or a year?).

-rw-r--r--  1 root   wheel  31781650 Aug 13  2011 evolution-2.32.1_1.tbz
-rw-r--r--  1 erich  Erich  31784043 Apr  8 13:31 evolution-2.32.1_2.tbz

I have found these two packages. The last date stamps found stored e-mails are from 04.04.2012. Evolution is not used as the main e-mail client on this machine.

There was a problem with the machine. It died during a port upgrade leaving it in a but undefined state. After fixing the hardware, I deleted everything (pkg_delete -a), updated the ports tree and started compiling. Ports which did not compile (like evolution) were installed as package.

As I started from scratch, I believed the notes in UPGRADING should not apply and I ignored all.

> > all I found at the Internet was this:
> >
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2011-November/msg04069.html
> >
> > Should I delete the settings and try again?
>
> Maybe, try it.

This did not help.

Should I try to downgrade?

I also tried to install from source but I am not able to compile:

checking for Kerberos 5... ./configure: /usr/local/bin/krb5-config: not found
configure: error: You specified with krb5, but it was not found.
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please run the gnomelogalyzer, available from

gnomelogalyzer is not able to tell what the problem is.

I tried not to use kerberos from the base system. Could the problem be linked to this?

I never specified this ' with krb5'. Do you know which port uses this?

Erich