Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:36:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        danderse@cs.utah.edu
Subject:   Re: Changing socket buffer timeout to a u_long?

In article <20021121123126.E75421@cs.utah.edu>,
David G. Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Are there compelling reasons not to change the socket buffer
> timeout to a u_long from a u_short?  This variable stores
> the number of ticks before the socket operation times out.

I already changed it from short to int in -current in July.  (It has
never been unsigned in FreeBSD, as far as I know.)  Making it long
is overkill since that means it is 64 bits on the Alpha and Sparc64
platforms.

I didn't change it in -stable for compatibility reasons, though I
doubt it is much of an issue.  In -current only netstat and systat
needed to be recompiled.  I haven't heard about it affecting any
ports.

John
--
  John Polstra