Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:46:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joshua Pincus <pinc_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org (scsi)
Cc:        pinc_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Joshua Pincus)
Subject:   DISASTER!

1-25-97

I operate a P6-200 running FreeBSD 2.1.6-RELEASE.  It crashed this
evening.

Whenever I try to run fsck on one particular partition, I get the
following message:

** /dev/rsd0s1e
BAD SUPER BLOCK: NCYL LESS THAN NCG*CPG
pid 161 (fsck), Uid 0: exited on signal 8
floating exception - core dumped

First of all, why does fsck dump core when performing this operation?
Second of all, is there any way I can retrieve the information off of
this partition?  Our backup system is on the blink, and it is imperative
that the information in this partition be extracted.

Can I relabel the disk in order to validate the superblock information, or
is that a newfs operation only?  The problem is that newfs will erase all
of the old info.  I am desperate to restore as much information as I can.

Is there anyway that I can use the raw disk device as an input file and
dump the information onto another partition, or into a file?

Any help would be warmly accepted.
Josh Pincus