Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:32:14 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to make FreeBSD like NetBIOS names?

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 01:47:54AM +0100, Pascal Giannakakis wrote:

> But how can i make FreeBSD use NetBIOS-names, so that commans like the one
> below will work?
>
> > ping winmachine
>
> I want my FreeBSD to resolve names this way:
>
> 1.) /etc/hosts
> 2.) NetBIOS names (probably managed by Samba)
> 3.) DNS
>
> How do i achieve this? Thx.

That's not possible in FreeBSD 4.x: there's no general support for
NetBIOS name resolution outside of the Samba code.  Usually you can
get along fine without it --- a good thing to do is ensure that the
DNS and NetBIOS names of all your windows machines match up.  If you
use a Windows DHCP/DNS server with dynamic DNS, you may be able to
automate that.  Otherwise, you're going to have to lash something
together with scripts or just manually keep your DNS in line with
NetBIOS.

In FreeBSD 5.x there will be support for Name Service Switch
functionality, which will make it possible for someone to write an
add-on to allow name resolution via NetBIOS.  However, that doesn't
help here and now.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way