Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:46:41 -0500
From:      "Security Mgr." <trouble@webfyre.com>
To:        trouble@webfyre.com, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD & OpenBSD

OK Now im curious, can someone enlighten me slightly, I understand the
FreeBSD and OpenBSD are both based on the BSD 4.4 code, and both are
basically called BSD systems by design, but what is it that makes them
differ so greatly, is it in kernel code. or overall systems design and
code. I know OpenBSD is very secure probably the most secure of the BSDs
and Linux, I ve also been told that FreeBSDs networking is much more
solid and FreeBSD stands up better under under loads, would this not
hold true for an OpenBSD based system??? is there anyway to harden a
FreeBSD systems and kernel, much like the OpenBSD system, or the new
"Solar Designer" Patch against the linux kernel, security is a big issue
with some of my clients as it is with me also. I understand that if
someone wants to really get into a system, somehow they are going to. Id
just like to make it that much more difficult. Is there a "Securing you
FreeBSD" type doc anywhere as there are for linux, and openbsd??? is
FreeBSD that far behind openBSD in security, or is openbsd used as a
predeccessor and possible good patches applied?? Have the FreeBSD core
Team ever done a security audit?? and lastly, Ill accept any suggestions
on "Steps to Securing a FreeBSD System", If i get enuff good ones ill
compile a Security FAQ or HOWTO. I thinks Ive covered the basics on my
system, but suggestions always help. Thanks in Advance, and sorry for
being long winded.

Kerberus