Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 00:24:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, toasty@home.dragondata.com, nate@mt.sri.com, jak@cetlink.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Well, at least we are closer to having a full package set available
> > for 3.0-snaps now.  (4-CD snap? :> )
>
> It's no joke, I may have to do that soon! :-(

[lots deleted]

> The second thing I think we need to consider is that in the longer
> term, I can easily see a day where the ports and packages collection
> have grown to the point where decoupling them from the primary FreeBSD
> releases becomes essential in order that the "base system" remain
> reasonably priced.

I know I proposed this specifically myself a good while back (I don't know
if I was first, tho) but considering the *value* involved in the ports
product, along with it's massive size, it seems very easily supportable.
Along with that, it's now becoming a resource for NetBSD and OpenBSD fans,
and I'll bet those folks would appreciate not having to pay for FreeBSD
parts they don't want.

Having it's own product advertisements and separate billing can only
increase FreeBSD's total visibility, and considering Walnut Creek's
massive support of FreeBSD over the long term, I admit it doesn't bother
me in the least if they manage to make money from it.

> Doing this would also allow Walnut Creek CDROM to see just how much
> revenue the ports collection alone generated, and as a new product I'm
> pretty confident that I could negotiate in advance that a slice of the
> pie from every ports collection CD sale go into a special "support the
> ports collection project fund" (over and above money already given to
> FreeBSD.org) from which we could buy Satoshi and crew a package
 :-) [and
> I've been thinking of some nice 10 drive CCD array configurations
> which would really do the job nicely when mated with a dual-processor
> PII-300. ;)]

Huh ... Jordan's getting power mad.  I want a pic of you, dolled up with a
lab coat and a fright wig, in the green glow of an oversized monitor!

> What do folks think of all this?
>
> 					Jordan

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |