Date:      Thu, 8 May 2003 13:28:39 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Greg Smith <freebsd_mail@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ideal laptop recommendations?

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Greg Smith wrote:

> Kevin wrote:
> >Darryl wrote:
> >>   Note that you don't have to preserve the IBM software.  You can
> always
> >>   wipe the disk clean and install FreeBSD onto the entire disk.
> It's
> >>   only if you want to dual-boot where this becomes a problem.  And,
> >>   it's definitely an issue, as some (many? most? all?) Thinkpads DO
> NOT
> >>   COME WITH WINDOWS RECOVERY CDROMS.  Unless you pay extra
> ($20-$30???)
> >>   and order the recovery CDROMs from IBM (I think they're "free" if
> you
> >>   get them within the first 30 days after getting a Thinkpad), the
> only
> >>   way to "reinstall" windows is via the special recovery partition
> (and
> >>   using it REQUIRES an intact/unchanged boot sector).
> >
> >For some period after you buy a ThinkPad (1 year?) IBM has shipped the
> >CD free on request. IF YOU GET A THINKPAD, ALWAYS REQUEST THIS!
>
> The last times I bought a ThinkPad they told me 30 days for free, but
> regardless it makes sense to get it right away for free.
>
> Note that if you have the CD you don't need to preserve the convenient
> recovery partition.  The Windows recovery will work just as well with
> the CD, and will give you the option to restore the recovery partition
> as well, although the CD might not be traveling with you when you most
> need it.
>
> Greg

	I think the 30 days is only for software support and installation
issues.  The CD you can get for up to the amount of time your warranty is
good for.  On my 770Z, I can get the CD like anytime before 3 years is up.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin