Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:57:50 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        blk@skynet.be (Brad Knowles)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMRD (MegaRAID) BIOS rev another other questions

On 22 Oct 1999 00:37:41 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.current you wrote:

>At 2:33 PM -0400 1999/10/20, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
>> I have been playing for now with RAID 0 to get a sense of various
>> performance settings, which can dramatically effect bonnie and iozone
>> results. e.g. Write Back vs write through and stripe size.  The eventual
>> purpose will be for a SQUID server in a couple of months once the drivers
>> are back ported.
>
>	Have you done any benchmarking with any other tools (e.g., rawio
>and postmark), as I've gotten started at
><http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/FreeBSD/>)?  I think it would be
>very useful to have similar sets of benchmarks run across a wide
>variety of hardware combinations, so that we'd be closer to being
>able to compare apples to apples.

I went to compile rawio out of the ports, but a declaration needs to be
changed and I havent had time to figure it out. (Alas, I am not a
programmer)

cc -O -pipe -g  rawio.c  -o rawio
rawio.c: In function `dochild':
rawio.c:496: incompatible types in initialization
*** Error code 1

For now I have mostly been doing tests with bonnie and iozone testing out
the various configurations and settings in RAID 0,1,3 and 5.  Generally, as
expected, the controller only really shows off when there are multiple
things going on. e.g. two or more copies of bonnie running at the same
time.

I also have a Mylex 960 that I will test out next.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)