Date:      17 Dec 1999 12:18:22 -0700
From:      Dale Hagglund <rdh@best.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   when is it safe to use the 0xa0ffa0ff disk flags?

"Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx> writes:

> Are you refering to the "0xa0ffa0ff" flags???, this flags are for
> improve performance by enabling DMA use, enable the multi-sector I/O
> and the 32BIT I/O modes to IDE Disks.

How does one know if it's safe to apply those those particular flags
to one's system?  If they'll speed up disk activity, I'm all in favour
of them, but I don't want to trash my disks by mistake.

I'm using 3.2-RELEASE with a kernel built to support ipfw and the bpf
stuff.  My disks are Quantum Fireballs, a ST2.1A and KA9.1
respectively.

Dale.