Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 02:56:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: List maintanence question.

> Well, cut the guy some slack.  In some worlds, users don't control
> their desktop.  They are required to use the "officially sanctioned"
> tools, and things like Microsoft SMS are used to inforce the rule.
> Installation of unapproved software is grounds for termination.

Of course, this policy can run both ways -- as "the IS Boss", I get to
make these rules.....  Nobody can install anything on the (rare)
non-UNIXish boxes that I don't "officially sanction", which is almost
always limited to 95-OSR2, Office 97, and a Win32 X server to connect to
the "useful" machines.  :)  As for the UNIXish machines, the users can put
pretty much whatever they want on them, with the understanding that if it
doesn't work, I'll get to it when I have time.  (They do NOT have root
access, so they're limited to their home directories.)

My boss (non-geek-type) keeps talking about putting a bunch of NT machines
in here -- I'm constantly telling her that "FreeBSD, DEC UNIX, and
Samba give you all the functionality you need.  Putting NT in here is a
dumb idea -- if you tell me to make it happen, I won't be able to ensure
that it (the network) keeps working..."

--mike

(I do have an NT box that she doesn't know about -- just for kicks...)